Concerning creaking from the rear left

mg4nick

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I'm booked this Thursday at the local Salisbury dealer to investigate it however I'd appreciate any hints on what could cause this (I suspect some suspension bits).

The picture below shows my test set up - I roll out of the driveway and then I drive with the left wheel on the kerb.
I've removed everything from the boot and placed the phone in the polystyrene mould.

The same creaking appears when swerving or going over an uneven stretch (but it is mostly drowned out by the tyre rolling noise above 20-25mph)...

Here is the link to the video that records the creaking...

Annoyingly I've started noticing it a week after the 1st service - which was about 1 month ago.

Anyone had a similar experience and figured it out (or can share some advice)?

Attachments

• IMG_1968.jpeg
    IMG_1968.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Hi.

My MG4 Luxury has begun to make the same noise you describe from the left rear. Like you, I think it’s something in the suspension because I get it with bumps and irregularities in the road, not on smooth surfaces. I’d be interested in what your dealer has to say about it.

MG4 Luxury - cracking/squeaking/squeaking at the rear of the boot. This happens hawkishly when reversing and simultaneously cornering and driving onto uneven surfaces when the vehicle structure crosses. I have had the vehicle in for service and supposedly the trunk door is doing it. They were trying to get them aligned. It helped a little, but not 100%.

MG4 Luxury - cracking/squeaking/squeaking at the rear of the boot. This happens hawkishly when reversing and simultaneously cornering and driving onto uneven surfaces when the vehicle structure crosses. I have had the vehicle in for service and supposedly the trunk door is doing it. They were trying to get them aligned. It helped a little, but not 100%.
maybe I should do the same test with the trunk door open...

Search for the 'Creak in rear/boot' thread which has a possible answer.
I can't believe it.
I did the bungs thingie suggested in this post and the creaking is gone (I also wrapped some tape around the latch). The boot now closes with a different sound (I would call it a VW sound - definitely no rattle).

I did search creaks before posting but somehow I didn't find that answer (I hope I won't have more reasons to search carefully 🤞 )...

Thank you everyone for your help/suggestions.

Flaneur & baader

Try the fix from the above link (hopefully it works for you too). The bungs are rather fiddly so be patient.

I can't believe it.
I did the bungs thingie suggested in this post and the creaking is gone (I also wrapped some tape around the latch). The boot now closes with a different sound (I would call it a VW sound - definitely no rattle).

I did search creaks before posting but somehow I didn't find that answer (I hope I won't have more reasons to search carefully 🤞 )...

Thank you everyone for your help/suggestions.

Flaneur & baader

Try the fix from the above link (hopefully it works for you too). The bungs are rather fiddly so be patient.
I just did the bung rotation thing too and it worked! No more noise. Thanks for the tips!

Sorry for the late reply... I'm glad you sorted it out.
I've attached a picture of the final state of the bung (after twisting and pulling out a bit) and the tape wrapped around the loop (it may be that either one of them has done the trick).

2024-05-09_10-53-51_721.jpg

2024-05-09_10-54-35_348.jpg

Sorry for the late reply... I'm glad you sorted it out.
I've attached a picture of the final state of the bung (after twisting and pulling out a bit) and the tape wrapped around the loop (it may be that either one of them has done the trick).

View attachment 26573
View attachment 26575
I think the catch actually latches onto the near vertical part of the loop (to the right of where your tape is) . I've done mine and all the noise has gone.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back