MG4 Software Update Thread

I've extracted some apk they use on the infotainment system, and I've tried to Run some from a android studio Android vm ( MG ANDROID is based on android 9-sdk 28 - and the hardware running the infotainment is based on a MEdiaTek mt2712 - Autus i20 - https://www.mediatek.com/products/ivi/mt2712 ) but without success.
Device developers often modify the systemui and other components to suit the application.

I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to swap out a few things to get most of the MG apps to work.

My priority at the moment is seeing if we can use the MG update tools to sideload an APK. Since we can't seem to get ADB working on the SE SR/Excite, it seems like our best bet.

I have a feeling it's possible to craft a suitable usb_ota_update.zip file, but writing only a file, not the complete system.

If anyone ever gets a similar update file for a SE SR/Excite, i'd be thrilled. The software has proven there is two separate source code trees since codes like 4479 aren't in the code at all.

edit: Oh geez, when they write new maps, manuals and vr data they "chmod 0777 -R " the lot.
Won't mean much to a lot of people, but developers will get why that's great for us.

Last edited:
From post 3175 onwards I was afraid this was going to happen when I originally bought the car. One of my first posts compared it to a computer ( which I have little affinity with ) and how out of reach it would be to the enthusiastic home mechanic. Now we have posts in French being asked to translate before submitting, could I suggest the same for computer gobblygook language which is as far removed from the English tongue as Urdu or Cantonese.

From post 3175 onwards I was afraid this was going to happen when I originally bought the car. One of my first posts compared it to a computer ( which I have little affinity with ) and how out of reach it would be to the enthusiastic home mechanic. Now we have posts in French being asked to translate before submitting, could I suggest the same for computer gobblygook language which is as far removed from the English tongue as Urdu or Cantonese.
It's just linux/unix line commands for file updates/setting file attributes used to do that stuff years ago, moved on thankfully as developers became 2 a penny, the best and lowest cost coming from India

Yeah, nothing special, millions of people around the world develop on unix/linux. It's just a job like any other. Lots of good low cost developers in easter European countries, India and other parts of Asia. That's where we sourced our developers even 15-20 years ago.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was just about to treat these previous posters as some sort of demi-God, now I'm assured they are nothing special I can sleep a lot better. I was fearing that it was like going into a pub in central Wales or Ireland were the locals take one look at you and revert to Gaelic or Welsh and give sideways glances and smirks in your direction. o_O :D then trying to explain that "its a bladder problem, alright ".

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back