MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

Just got back from my local MG dealer with my vibrating Xpower. I took there to see if they could do anything about the vibration/throbbing between 58 and 72 MPH that it has had from new. It’s now done about 800 miles. Unsurprisingly there is no simple fix.

Their inspection report was as follows:

“Inspected the vehicle and also another same vehicle and both vehicles have the same vibrations and distortional noise. Suspect it is characteristic of the vehicle”

I noticed they also had one more Xpower in the service area.

They did not know how to fix the problem and said I should contact MG for a solution. I got the impression they were not getting much help from MG UK.

Interestingly they tried rebalancing the front wheels and on the drive home it was a lot worse. This seems to point to a balance issue in wheel/drive train somewhere. If the problem was anywhere other than my usual cruising speed I could live with it, but at 60-70 MPH it’s very irritating.

I have had the car for 28 days so when does the 30 day rejection time run out ? Or does the fact that I have reported it to a dealer stop that clock ?
We tried to reject ours due to this vibration issue after 2 days with the new car but the rejection was ‘rejected’ as MG Uk are stating this is a characteristic of the model and does not effect safety, so I suspect you’ll hit the same brick wall.

Only option at that point is to get an independent engineers report and head down the legal route. We decided not to risk this and have now accepted the car back but apparently there are some new suspension components being released soon to try n address this and we are on the list to have these retrofitted when they are available.

Sorry it’s not better news.

We tried to reject ours due to this vibration issue but the rejection was ‘rejected’ as MG Uk are stating this is a characteristic of the model and does not effect safety, so I suspect you’ll hit the same brick wall.

Only option at that point is to get an independent engineers report and head down the legal route. We decided not to risk this and have now accepted the car back but apparently there are some new suspension components being released soon to try n address this and we are on the list to have these retrofitted when they are available.

Well it sounds a bit like the undertray experience:

"The undertray is behaving as designed" - yes but the design is rubbish.

"The vibration is characteristic of the car" - yes but it shouldn't suffer from this at all.

MG does eventually provide a fix for these kinds of issues but only after enough people complain and months later and after denying there is a problem first.

What happened to the workaround of setting KERS (regen) to adaptive?

Did that only work because the poster hadn't had the problem for 6 months?

If KERS fixes it, then a software solution seems eminently doable.

We tried to reject ours due to this vibration issue after 2 days with the new car but the rejection was ‘rejected’ as MG Uk are stating this is a characteristic of the model and does not effect safety, so I suspect you’ll hit the same brick wall.

Sounds like you guys don’t understand the UK consumer law, you can reject a car for any reason within the first 30 days, the dealer can’t reject the rejection. If they try to, contact the car ombudsman and he will contact the dealer and tell them to follow the law or else. After 30 days and up to 6 months, the dealer has one chance to fix the car, if they don’t you can reject the car. Again they will probably refuse, so you should contact your ombudsman.
I rejected my Xpower within 7 days of purchase. They tried to say I couldn’t, I then put it in writing and said if they don’t accept the rejection I would go to the car ombudsman. They took the car back right away.
In the first 30 days they can’t charge you for mileage, but after 30 days they can charge you up to 45p per mile on the car.

My 24 plate xpower has the vibration, but who knows it could have been sat in a factory yard for several months. Petition signed.
After I rejected my brand new 24 plate Xpower, I went to a different dealer and got a brand new 24 plate extended long range (got it for same price as the Xpower, £30,800). I took it on the motorway straight away and got vibrations, not as bad as the Xpower however, which shock my teeth out. Took it back to the dealer and they confirmed 4 x square tyres (flat spots), which happens if the car sits too long. I asked for the tyres to be replaced with the new Hankook iONS EVO tyres, which they did and that fix the vibration issue. I wish that had been the easy fix for the Xpower.
After that, I had not done 100 miles when I got the HV battery fault. The car went into limp mode and when you put it into park, that was it, would not go into drive again. I got out, locked the car, then unlocked the car and got back in and it went into drive, went straight to dealer. They had it a couple days, they reimagined the car and said also a cable was loose on the main battery, so it was overheating. They said it was fixed for good and I won’t get the issue again. I’m now just over 500 miles in. Fingers crossed 🤞 no more issues.

Hello everyone, here is a French user's feedback on vibrations. I bought my Xpower in November 2023 (manufactured before October 2023). It had a lot of vibrations and a dull noise, which was very uncomfortable. From the end of January 2024, I learned that there was a vibration damper available. My car dealership had difficulty obtaining the information; I had to send several registered letters. I managed to get the steering vibration damper replaced. For my part, there is a significant improvement. The vibrations still exist but are acceptable as they do not interfere with driving. No more issues on the highway. Today, I have some annoying but random vibrations around 68 MPH. Overall, I am satisfied. Other people are in the same situation as me.

from what im being told, driveshafts are fine but the vibration from the motor is transferring down the shafts, which i suspect they have known all along, steering dampener doesn't work as the vibration is so intense. I suspect they will modify the hub assembly to accommodate some form of dampening. This i suspect it could impact handling but fix the issue. I suspect this will minimise but not totally remove vibes, As the source of the vibes is still there. Personally i suspect its an imbalance between both sides of the motor at certain RPM, i was able to get rid of the imbalance with jubilee clips, but only when both left and right shafts were apposed perfectly. If you changed lanes on a dead straight road, keeping the same speed, , it was enough to throw the balance out.

Eco mode makes a big difference as front motor is disengaged. Removing the possibility of shaft imbalance, brake or wheel imbalance, otherwise we would see it at the same level in eco mode. I suspect after their fix the best you can hope for is eco level vibes in sport mode and next to no difference in eco, as engine mounts remain the same.

Not sure I follow. (Not arguing, just not following)

Surely the imbalance will be inherent whether the motor is powered or not?

I.E, The driveshafts and motor are involved and spinning regardless of whether they have power or not.

Without electric, just 'free-wheeling'

With electric, providing additional motive force.

Just getting my info from my Scalextric cars when I was a kid and how the motor behaved un powered.

I never use eco mode, normal or sport mostly.

P.S. As mentioned before, my vibes are for all intents and purposes gone since I started running the tyres at 40psi.

You mention a good point, shouldnt the vibrations happen with or without drive engagement? switching to eco produces way less vibrations, yet in sport even when perfectly coasting, zero power and zero regen, we are still seeing the vibrations, and way more than eco mode. So something is engaging, be it mech or motor being powered , the result is happening. I specifically tested coasting as i thought the same thing. freewheeling while coasting should reduce , but it doesnt. Speed matching that perfectly is hard, but not when you attempt many times, there should be a point where vibrations drop as you go in and out of regen and power. It could be that when its powered there are some sort of magenetic engagements happening. Either way eco drops it drastically.

I believe the pumped up tyres drop vibration by sending it to the ground rather back through the steering and lower suspension and control arms, its working in reverse of a dampener. Like the little air pumps for fishtanks, u touch it with the rubber feet on it, it will vibrate your fingers more than if you take them off and the pump is on concrete,

Fire away im very open to being completely wrong, and welcome input. Resonating vibrations at speed can be complex, lots of things i could be missing.

Many Xpowers have no vibes at all, no matter what 'mode' they're driven in.
Not in the UK - quote from Gary Smart (MG UK customer services) in an e-mail to me a few weeks back:-

"We know that all MG4 X-Power, currently include this characteristic, usually around 60-70 mph."

So anyone who hasn't got these vibrations is wrong, apparently ;)

Part of the problem is the vibe is very subjective, one person's shake your teeth out is anothers hum. You really need one person to try all the cars. Nonetheless, mine certainly has something, I'd describe it as more of a buzz...though a rarely cruise at the affected speed range, my daily commute is on A/B roads.

I've no idea how the power is directed to the wheels under normal driving and with torque vectoring but I doubt the vibes are anything to do with mechanical imbalance but more likely electronic.

Part of the problem is the vibe is very subjective, one person's shake your teeth out is anothers hum. You really need one person to try all the cars. Nonetheless, mine certainly has something, I'd describe it as more of a buzz...though a rarely cruise at the affected speed range, my daily commute is on A/B roads.

I've no idea how the power is directed to the wheels under normal driving and with torque vectoring but I doubt the vibes are anything to do with mechanical imbalance but more likely electronic.
Agree about the subjectivity of the issue entirely.

Personally I'm convinced it is mechanical rather than electronic as it is harmonic related (was a mechanical design engineer back in the day but this is just my opinion). Be interested to see what the 'revised suspension components' are when (if?) they eventually land in the UK and what improvement they will provide.

I agree with the first part.

I've said it many times....

One man's (or womans) cattle grid,
Is another man's (or womans) tiny vibration.

But I disagree with the vibes being purely electronic.
I just can't see that.

Electric motors have to be extremely well balanced or would surely just break apart.

Without electric, just 'free-wheeling'

With electric, providing additional motive force.
My understanding is that all MGs at least so far use permanent magnet motors. These have the characteristic that above a certain speed, you have to use a thing called "flux weakening". This is an active process, sending currents through the motor coils, that has the effect of cancelling some of the magnet's "strength" (its magnetic flux). This reduces torque, but causes less back-EMF to be produced. This is part of how electric motors perform electric gearing; they automatically trade torque for speed to end up with largely constant power above a certain speed. Without field weakening, the back-EMF would force its way into the main battery, causing the motor to regenerate down to a speed where the back-EMF approximately equalled the battery voltage. Voltage and Electro Motive Force (EMF) are essentially the same thing.

So above this certain speed, and that speed depends on the battery's voltage and hence state of charge, there is no such thing as complete free wheeling. If everything was perfect, the field weakening currents would cause no net power from the battery. Instantaneously, power flows from the motor controller to the motor, then back again into the motor controller. But permanent magnet motors are a bit "coggy"; there is torque ripple from the magnets passing by pieces of iron in the motor's stator. I thought that this certain speed was typically about 60 km/h, but it could be that in a more powerful car like the MG4 Xpower, this speed is more like 60-70 mph. So the vibrations could be a result of the motor's inherent cogginess coupled with the need for field weakening above a certain speed.

As for why ECO mode has less vibration, you have the torque ripple from two motors compared to that one one. It could be that with one motor, this torque ripple is fairly negligible, as it's a fairy high frequency. But with two motors, if they are not perfectly synchronised, the ripples may cause a lower beat frequency, which being lower in frequency may be more noticeable. If that's the case, the fix may be to send CAN messages between the two motor controllers so that they synchronise their field weakening pulses somehow. My understanding is that this puts a constraint on the exact motor speeds, which may cause problems with wind-up as the effective tyre diameters will never be perfectly equal. So they may have to allow the motor speeds to drift a little now and then to prevent wind-up. So it likely isn't a trivial firmware update, and no doubt there is a lot of devil in the detail, and much testing will be needed, varying tyre pressures between runs, perhaps setting up special sensor equipment on test vehicles, etc.

You could argue that this is something that should have been part of designing any AWD EV, I don't know. And of course, I have no direct experience with designing motor controllers, and my theory could all be wrong, or at least largely irrelevant.

My understanding is that all MGs at least so far use permanent magnet motors. These have the characteristic that above a certain speed, you have to use a thing called "flux weakening". This is an active process, sending currents through the motor coils, that has the effect of cancelling some of the magnet's "strength" (its magnetic flux). This reduces torque, but causes less back-EMF to be produced. This is part of how electric motors perform electric gearing; they automatically trade torque for speed to end up with largely constant power above a certain speed. Without field weakening, the back-EMF would force its way into the main battery, causing the motor to regenerate down to a speed where the back-EMF approximately equalled the battery voltage. Voltage and Electro Motive Force (EMF) are essentially the same thing.

So above this certain speed, and that speed depends on the battery's voltage and hence state of charge, there is no such thing as complete free wheeling. If everything was perfect, the field weakening currents would cause no net power from the battery. Instantaneously, power flows from the motor controller to the motor, then back again into the motor controller. But permanent magnet motors are a bit "coggy"; there is torque ripple from the magnets passing by pieces of iron in the motor's stator. I thought that this certain speed was typically about 60 km/h, but it could be that in a more powerful car like the MG4 Xpower, this speed is more like 60-70 mph. So the vibrations could be a result of the motor's inherent cogginess coupled with the need for field weakening above a certain speed.

As for why ECO mode has less vibration, you have the torque ripple from two motors compared to that one one. It could be that with one motor, this torque ripple is fairly negligible, as it's a fairy high frequency. But with two motors, if they are not perfectly synchronised, the ripples may cause a lower beat frequency, which being lower in frequency may be more noticeable. If that's the case, the fix may be to send CAN messages between the two motor controllers so that they synchronise their field weakening pulses somehow. My understanding is that this puts a constraint on the exact motor speeds, which may cause problems with wind-up as the effective tyre diameters will never be perfectly equal. So they may have to allow the motor speeds to drift a little now and then to prevent wind-up. So it likely isn't a trivial firmware update, and no doubt there is a lot of devil in the detail, and much testing will be needed, varying tyre pressures between runs, perhaps setting up special sensor equipment on test vehicles, etc.

You could argue that this is something that should have been part of designing any AWD EV, I don't know. And of course, I have no direct experience with designing motor controllers, and my theory could all be wrong, or at least largely irrelevant.
I was thinking this originally, till i was able to throw that idea with simple jubilee clips. Silky smooth in sport mode , and on full power. Until i came to a corner or changed lanes , getting the out of balance impact again.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom